Tuesday 4 December 2012

Masterchef

As I write this I am watching Masterchef and I am beginning to feel hungry - I know that's a bit Pavlov's dog (I see food therefore I feel hungry) - but there it is!

Advent is the expectant waiting, the hopeful anticipation and cheerful preparation for the coming of Christ at Christmas - His breaking into our world and into our lives every day. Advent is not to be confused with Lent even though both seassons are coloured purple.  Advent is about hope and not repentance, the hope of God coming amongst us.
In the story of God's involvement with people as told in the Bible, again and again God speaks of things many of us hunger for - justice for poor, liberty for the metaphorically and literally captive, food for the hungry and so on.

The question is, as we wait, what are we hungry for? Are we willing to be fed from God's menu of justice, mercy and peace? And are we prepared to be a part of satisfying the appetite of of our neighbourhoods and our communities serving up God's love in practical and demonstratable ways?

No comments: